Want to stay informed?


Is a Christmas tree toxic to dogs?

Tuesday, 13 December 2022

Most dog owners do have it in the house in December: the Christmas tree. Cosy of course, but also dangerous. After all, a Christmas tree is toxic for dogs. What else do you need to know to get through the holidays safely together? Our pet specialists explain.

Let's start.

Why is a Christmas tree toxic to dogs?
The Christmas tree - or pine tree - is actually dangerous from head to toe. Let's start with the pine needles. With their pointed shape, they can puncture an intestinal or stomach wall, and such pine needles also contain toxins. Not only the needles are dangerous, the groundwater of the pine tree is also toxic. It contains substances the tree excretes, which can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and other gastrointestinal problems. So the Christmas tree is highly toxic to dogs.
A Christmas tree can also be dangerous. Some dogs bump into it while playing - or out of clumsiness. Fragile Christmas decorations can then fall to the ground and injure your dog on the shards.

Tips for a safe Christmas tree
So a Christmas tree can be toxic and dangerous for your dog, but with the following precautions, you can put one up in your home just fine:
  • Place the tree firmly so it cannot fall over.
  • Choose plastic baubles so they cannot break.
  • Avoid artificial snow, angel hair and plastic garlands.
  • Do not hang edible decorations in the tree.
  • Remove pine needles from the floor daily.
These things are also dangerous during Christmas
Not only is a Christmas tree toxic to dogs, but other plants or food items can also pose risks.
  • Amaryllis
  • Holly
  • Christmas rose
  • Poinsettia
  • Mistletoe
  • Yew
  • Chocolate
  • Christmas cake

source: www.petplan.nl